Friday, July 11, 2008

Final Reflections on a Magical Year

We’ve been home for nearly two weeks now, trying to get unpacked and adjusted to what is not only a totally different way of living life but certainly a totally different routine! I often find my mind drifting back to Italy while I drive the streets of Thousand Oaks, remembering the faces of my friends or the narrow cobblestone streets filled with charm and surprise.

There are certainly things that I miss very much and have battled a few days of depression and frustration along the way. I cant find the ingredients that I so desperately want to make a true Italian meal (The Italian restaurants here are just not up to par with what we are used to). I miss the way that Massimiliano and the waiters at La Vecchia Bettola made us feel likely family every time we ate there.

I want so badly to have a fresh pastry in the morning while standing at a bar and drinking my Italian coffee. I miss the architecture and crossing the Arno on foot with the buzzing of motorinos in my ears. There’s no telling how long it will last or “If” it will ever completely go away for that matter. I miss waking in the morning and seeing what today’s view will look like from the castle, there were so many wonderful surprises offered by that amazing place.

I miss riding the motorino with Anna or the kids on the back, with their arms wrapped around my waste. I miss reaching down and touching their hands as we wiz through the streets. I miss the chaos of driving in such a crazy place, driving is too simple here and boring :>)

Above all I miss my friends in Italy. They were so kind to us and were the ones responsible for making it such a magical year in so many ways. I hope they can come to visit.

I guess this is the ultimate test. I often told Anna as the year unfolded that our “Story” would not be complete until many months after we return home and that we had to return home to uncover whether our love affair with Italy was just that “An affair” or something meant to be more permanent. Only time will offer the answers that we seek.

It’s been wonderful in this short period to have spent time with a few of our friends and family, playing golf with Rich, seeing the kids with their cousins and seeing our parents, being able to celebrate Steve Silverman’s birthday over a great sushi meal. The weather is so magical here in Southern California and I forgot how blue the sky is. The days of heavy and still humidity in Florence were taxing on our souls. Only half jokingly I have said that just typing an e-mail caused me to perspire profusely!

I’ve loved seeing the kids enjoy our backyard and playing with their friends. I look forward to finally getting settled and being able to spend time with my friends and its been great to have American sports back in my life, although I think that my passion/addiction has been tempered as my interests have been changed by my time away.

I’m happy to have real Mexican food, sushi and good old American BBQ back in my life. These were ingredients that I couldn’t find in Italy! Its nice that things are so clean here and that I can almost fall asleep while driving :>)

I don’t know what the future holds for our desires. Will we return to live in Italy again? Will we choose another city and experience another family adventure (Something we’ve discussed in detail including Rome, Paris, Sydney and others). When will we go back to see our friends and will we eventually buy a second home in the Florence area?

We don’t yet know the answers to these questions because there are still so many emotions swirling inside of each of us. What we do know is that we are Californians again that there certainly are a lot worse things to be! For now we will enjoy every minute of being with our family and friends again.

But we will never forget Florence or the magical year as long as we live.

2 comments:

Galel Fajardo said...

To the Braheem Family -

Welcome back to California!

I wanted to thank you for sharing such a special year with us all. I cannot express how inspiring it has been to follow this Braheem Family journey, and look forward to reading about more to come.

Galel Fajardo

Unknown said...

Tim,

Thank you for allowing me to experience the Journey with your family! It provided many of bright days for me over the past 11 months!!

David Baltzer