Friday, July 11, 2008

A Final Interview with Anna

Q1: If you had to assess how your kids have been affected (Both negative and positive) from living abroad over the past year, what would your assessment be?)

AA: As for the emotional aspect I don’t see a negative impact from living abroad this past year. I don’t view missing your family and friends as a negative. In my opinion it is s an experience in which we learn to recognize and go through what we are feeling. Once this happens and we experience the feelings, we ultimately grow from it. I’ve seen this process occur Trey and Olivia.

Trey and Olivia have had an incredible experience this year while in Italy. They have experienced a different life in a different land and have proven once again that they are amazing children who embraced this experience. They both grew immensely at ISF and both have told me that it is the best school they have ever gone to. Their appreciation for good, fresh, simply prepared food has changed them forever! So much so that they have their own opinions as to which restaurants serve the best pasta, rosticciana, steak, lamb, seafood etc. etc.! Consequently, they will also voice their opinion when the food is not to their satisfaction – this is fantastic for me! They both have developed an appreciation for the natural beauty of Italy, the soft rolling hills of the Tuscan country side, flowers in bloom and old rock walls. Trey takes in the architecture and Olivia chooses her favorite trees in the forest of the castle. Daily life for them was not the same “routine” as in Thousand Oaks. The strolls to dinner in the center, crossing the Arno, laughing with delight at how hard the rain is coming down on us while under our umbrellas, trying a new flavor in gelato……………….it has been life changing for them. Having a greater impact on them though is the friendships we have formed. Most of our friends do not speak English, and in the beginning it was a bit foreign for Trey and Olivia but as time passed, they discovered ways to communicate. TIC TAC TOE is a big one (just ask Olivia and the Mr. Italias!) The kids would often draw pictures for friends of ours who are special to them thereby communicating these feelings in a drawing. After time passes, you get to know someone without having to say it in words all the time because you can’t! You become more observant of body language, facial expressions and tend to look longer into their eyes and then you really know how they feel and with this brings comfort. Every time we are with our friends, they are very excited to see Trey and Olivia and they let it be known with big smiles and big hugs from the heart! Gifts are a big thing with the Italians we’ve befriended! Much to my disapproval, they would come with gifts in hand for the kids! I soon realized that is a sign of their fondness for the Trey and Olivia and therefore could not be disgruntled by it. Little gifts carefully thought out and from the heart.

Q2: You have said that you didn’t feel like you were “Finished” with Florence yet. Do you still feel that way?

AA: Yes, very much so. I feel as though my affair with Firenze and all it has for me is not over, this brings me comfort, knowing that I will be back.

Q3: How did your year in Italy differ from what you expected?

AA: Well, those who know me know I’m not one for expectations. I don’t get excited before a vacation.. The excitement for me happens as I am there, living it, feeling it. I don’t know how to have expectations from something I’ve never experienced before and don’t want to put expectations upon it for fear missing something because it wasn’t part of my expectations (does that make sense?) With that said, this has been to date one of the best years of my life.

Q4: If you could do it all over again, would you AND what would you do differently?

AA: Yes I would do it all over again. Differently? Some things would be different by default because we already have had the experience of living abroad therefore some things we are wiser to.

Q5: Who will you miss the most and why?

AA: For me it is impossible to be placed in a garden filled with beautiful flowers and asked to only choose one. Friends are like with flowers, beautiful and fragrant, touching your heart in their own unique way.

Q6: As you return home, what new wisdom do you bring with you that you will try to use to have a better life in California?

AA: I can’t live life slower than I do now (Tim might have me committed, or commit himself) but I want to have my breakfast outside on a beautiful day, continue to enjoy the laughter of my children, hold hands with my husband more often, pass the time with family and my friends and to cherish them more; take in the beauty that each day brings. I don’t want so much scheduling, spontaneity is wonderful. I want to continue to be open and receptive and see the beauty in everyone; to enjoy the ride more than the destination.

Q7: Tell us about that emotional day, the day that we decided to leave.

AA: Well it was a whirlwind of confusion, totally unexpected and full of tears. It wasn’t what we had planned, obviously, but it had to be done this way given the circumstances. I knew the day would come when we had to leave our life in Firenze and say goodbye to our friends and all that we’ve known for the last year. It is very sad to say goodbye but in all the sadness you also feel and overwhelming amount of love, and this won’t ever go away. I guess you can’t have one with out the other. I feel so lucky.

No comments: