Saturday, April 12, 2008

An Interview with Hanni

Q1: Hanni, this is the first time that you have visited Italy. How did you like it and what were some of the highlights for you?
HA: “I really liked walking around the streets and taking in the local culture. We tried to be like Italians. The food and the shopping were amazing. Its kind of sad to some extent, because I ended up feeling more comfortable here than I did in my own country in many ways. I’ve always been kind of ridiculed in the US for dressing up so much. People here take time to dress up here and I really like that. It was nice to see that people didn’t just wake up in the morning and throw on sweat pants. Also that people are more welcoming here than at home.”

Q2: How was it to see your cousins for the first time since Christmas? Have they changed at all?
HA: “Olivia is still insane and Trey is kind of scary sometimes. I was so happy to see them. I had been counting down the days. I missed them so much!”

Q3: Hanni, tell us your impressions regarding the castle. How was it to be able to stay in such a historical place?
HA: “Oh my God, the entire experience is indescribable. The views were so majestic that I didn’t feel like I deserved in many ways to see something that beautiful. I felt like it wasn’t real like I was in a movie. I cant imagine that I would have such an opportunity to stay in such a wonderful place. The views were simply amazing from every room. To be able to stay in a castle that the Pope stayed in was unbelievable.”

Q4: This was your first time traveling alone in a foreign country. Was it scary for you and Ramana at only the age of 18?
HA: “Yes and no. I have had to fend for myself and adjust in Santa Barbara going to school. I was most scared about the language barrier. I was worried about not being able to communicate if there was a problem. However the fact that I was able to practice having taken Italian in school was a big help. The people were so nice when they saw that I was trying to speak their language. It was really great.”

No comments: