Friday, December 21, 2007

An Interview with Kirk

Q1 – Kirk, you are a chef and one of the things that Tim and Anna wanted to make sure that you experienced was the food of Florence. What are your impressions now that you have been to many of their favorite restaurants?
KA – “I’d say that my first impression is that you start to realize the countless options in the Italian cuisine. Everything from the pastas, to the cheeses, to the cold cuts to the various styles. There is such a wide array of foods that its impossible to taste it all in a week. I’d say that the second impression is that the consistency of really good meals and the amount of stuff that tastes home cooked. You know that this is real food that is cooked in a manner that is not only indicative to this area but also has a history to it. Your literally tasting history!”

Q2 – What was your favorite eating experience and what did you enjoy about it?
KA – “ I think that ironically, my two favorite were lunch yesterday (Cantinetta Veranzano, which was also my mom and dad’s favorite!) and the one we had at the Enotecca (Wine store). In comparison, they were the most simplistic meals we had. The raw ingredients really shined and you were able to see the artisan quality of the ingredients. The salami, the cheese, the olive oil, the bread, the tomatoes all paired with a fantastic wine showed that it doesn’t take a lot to make a fantastic meal with the right ingredients. It was magical.”

Q3 – What was the biggest surprise about your visit to Florence?
KA – “How nice everyone is dressed on a daily basis. Just seeing people doing their daily business and no one dresses like a slob. Its not just clothing. Its their hair, their bodies, these people just look good!”

Q4 – What did you think about the castle?
KA – “ Oh man, where do you want me to start. The only way to describe it, is that its an opportunity of a lifetime to stay here. Somehow this huge fortress feels like a cozy home. This home just happens to have a 360 degree view of a fabulous city!”

Q5 – What was your favorite memory of the visit?
KA – “ I would have to say that it was a combination of you (Tim) and I spending so much time together. This is the first time in ten years that I had you and your family all to my self. I have not had this degree of personal time in more than ten years. From there, my specific memory, was you and I going to San Lorenzo market, going to dozens of vendors. From there we designed the menu for the night, figuring out which vendors had the best ingredients and from there making a wonderful meal for your family.”

Q6 – You have visited Florence before, but it was many years ago. What are your thoughts and feelings about this Renaissance city?
KA – “While it is a haven for tourists, its sort of a closed off society. While at first it puts you off to hear it, it’s a city that you desperately want to be a part of! There’s a social aspect to this society that I truly envy. I was walking around today by myself and watching how many people were just walking around doing nothing (They were walking with their girlfriend, window shopping, having a coffee). At home, I leave the house with a specific reason and purpose. Here they seem so connected with each other and want to simply be with their native Florentines and the city itself. You can tell that they love their city. I cant say that I have that same relationship with the city that I live in.”

Q7 – Kirk, you and Tim had a ton of laughs when you visited for the past five days. What one sticks out in your mind as your favorite funny moment?
KA – “Lets just say that my first favorite funny moment would not be appropriate for this blog! Aside from the numerous great times of our past that we got to relive and retell, I would have to say that the Dutch boy hair cut of the dried fruit vendor at the San Lorenzo market was tough to beat. It’s a helmet of sorts!”

No comments: