Wednesday, January 9, 2008

An Appropriate Fairwell (Snow)

I will certainly never forget this morning as long as I live. The time was 7:00 am on the 16th of December. A full day of packing for home would be in store for us upon awaking. I opened my eyes and looked out the window of our bedroom on to the terrace. Snow was falling, albeit a light flurry but for a California boy with two kids who have never seen snowfall, it seemed like a dream! I leaped out of bed and ran down the hall to get my cameras. From there I raced into the kid’s room and woke them out of a dead sleep. They looked startled when I shook them in bed, but as soon as they gathered themselves and caught a glimpse of the beauty outside, it was all forgotten!

There is something peaceful and truly beautiful about snowfall, and it’s even more magical when your vantage point is up high where you can watch it fall to the ground. The forest behind the castle provided for a true fairytale setting as we stared out the window off and on for nearly three hours, sipping our coffee and enjoying what seemed like a wonderful Italian send off for the first half of our journey.

The kids soaked it in and enjoyed every minute of it. They both raced out to the terrace and stuck their open mouths to the sky to catch their first snowflakes on their tongues. The snow didn’t stick on the ground when it hit, but even with only a light snowfall, it will go down as a very special morning indeed.

1 comment:

Seaview2 said...

Hey Tim,

Ran into Steve Doctorzyk at a Vons retirement party yesterday. He told Mike that you had a blog. I googled "Tim Braheem Florence Blog" and found it!

Mike and I are coming with two other couples to Tuscany for two weeks in the the end of May. Might you be able to give us some tips?
Actually, at this point, I will be happy if you just remember who we are!

Thanks,
Laurie Young
San Pedro
P.S. I am sure you remember us!