Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Olivia Rae Braheem

Those that know Olivia know that she is truly a unique spirit. She is typically in a very good mood and has a wonderful sense of humor about her that makes people laugh and smile consistently. It has always been interesting for Anna and I to watch her as she interacts with friends and people that she meets. When at home, we were always aware of her ability to “Work a Room” even as a young little girl, but what’s interesting is how her energy and spirit transcend language and the need for communication with the spoken word. Both Trey and Olivia take Italian every day in school for 45 minutes, however neither of them demonstrating a real desire to speak the language daily with Anna and I (Not sure why this is, as we do try to encourage it with them both).

In the short time that she has been attending school (3 years now) she has always been her teacher’s favorite. We know this because each of her three teachers has told us so! What surprises us however is how she is able to generate this same level of liking with people who don’t have the ability to speak with her. As an example, Olivia has a swim instructor named Francesca who doesn’t speak any English. Twice a week we go to swimming and watch the two of them interact. There are usually four or five kids in the group with Olivia being the only one that doesn’t speak Italian.

One day I ran into Francesca while entering the gym. She asked how Olivia was because she had missed that Friday’s swim lesson while in Venice for Carnivale. Francesca told me that she really likes Olivia and I told Francesca that after each swim lesson Olivia tells me how much she likes her! This put a big smile on Francesca’s sweet face and then she continued to tell me “I really like Olivia because I learn from her!” Learn from her I thought, I learn from her too.

Lessons from Olivia

I had been at ISF one day volunteering for a school activity. After the children were dismissed we were walking to the car through the school yard. As we were leaving we passed by a woman whom Olivia said “Ciao” to. I asked if that was her Italian teacher and she replied “No Mommy! I am so lucky that she isn’t because she is so grouchy all the time Mommy, she’s mean!” I thought it kind of odd for Olivia to make the effort to say goodbye to someone who she perceives as “mean and grouchy.” Usually children tend to shy away from adults who are grouchy because they are afraid of them.

Later that night in the kitchen I asked Olivia why she said good-bye to the teacher if she is grouchy towards her all the time. Her reply: “mommy you should always treat someone they way you would like to be treated. If I keep saying hello to her, maybe she won’t be grouchy to me anymore!” This hit me deep down inside. Do we become hardened as adults? Do we let our preconceptions of others and ourselves change the way we interact with others?

As you already know, it has not been the easiest task in making friends at the Palestra! Most just stare at you with a poker face as they pass you by. So strange and so sad. To those of you who know me, I am not the one who can “work the room” but I don’t live inside a shell either. Being at the gym in Italy has left me feeling like I am a deaf/mute and my sense of self is heightened. I see everyone and everyone sees me yet we don’t speak, just stare!

So, after this lesson from my daughter I decided that enough is enough! I am going to smile and say “ciao” to my fellow gym companions and not give a second thought about it! You will be happy to know that I have made a friend, Ricardo! He’s married and has a 10 year old son. This is huge progress. I’ve seen Ricardo at the gym five days a week for the last eight weeks without us ever speaking to each other! Think of how ridiculous this is!

Ahhh, the lessons that we learn from our children! Following is this months interview with Olivia…

Q: Olivia, you seem to really like swim class. What are you learning and what do you like about swimming?
OA: “I like to do the backstroke, its not hard. I like to wave my arms back. I think that I have become a better swimmer. My teacher is really nice to me and explains what were going to do really good.”

Q: Olivia, how did you like Venice for Carnival? What did you like about it?
OA: “I liked it a lot. I liked seeing all the people dressed up. They looked so pretty. There were so many pretty ladies. Some day I want to go and wear one of those masks myself.”

Q: Olivia, two words Blood Oranges. Tell us about them.
OA: “I love blood oranges. They taste really sweet and are better than the oranges at home. I take them to school every day.”

Q: Olivia, are you happy that the Tyoran’s have moved to Florence? Why?
OA: “Yes, because I like to see Sophia. She’s looks really cute and I really like it when she laughs. I love to make her smile, I want her to be my baby sister!”

No comments: